Transcription from original document owned by
The Victoria Regional History Center
VC/UHV Library
Materials Use Policy


Burial # 1 was removed in 1965. It was exposed to view and was in bad condition. It was taken to the archeology lab in Austin. Burial # 2 was taken up May 2, 1966 because it was exposed to view. There are others at this location and not over 2 to 3 inches from the surface. All were buried approximately 2 ½ to 3 feet originally. They were buried by the Franciscan Fathers between 1726 and 1749. All in this location are Christian burials.

drawing of soil strata

Notations: Notations:
Original surface soil - bulldozed off
Fire pits - graves
Undistributed subsoil clay
Subsoil clay
--2 ½ to 3 feet - surface soil containing midden removed from ridge in 1958 by park board
--12 to 13 inches - black clay with fire burned
rock - charred pottery
--Bones around spots where fire was built